23. The steps of a good man are directed and established of the Lord, when He delights in his way and He busies Himself with his every step.
24. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down, for the Lord grasps his hand in support and upholds him.
25. I have been young and now am old, yet have I not seen the uncompromisingly righteous forsaken or his seed begging for bread. Amp.
The scripture is saying that the steps of a good man are directed and established by the Lord — when He delights in what we are doing. Then He is in the midst of all that we do. That is the blessed life. If we direct our own path, we can get into trouble. He knows what is around every corner and will protect us from all harm if we allow Him to. He will not force us to follow Him.
But even a good man has times when he falls and the Lord is right there almost catching him before he falls. He is quick to rescue and preserve us. Just how do we make sure that He will delight in what we are doing? We are still fleshly and our sin nature is not dead although we wish it to be.
Proverbs 3 has so much to say about the subject. Here are some things to remember:
- Keep His commandments
- Always keeping Mercy, Kindness & Truth
- Shutting out Hypocrisy, Falsehood, Selfishness and Hatred
- Lean on, Trust and be confident in the Lord
- Do not rely on you own insight or understanding
- In all your ways acknowledge Him
- Then He will direct and make straight and plain your path
The main lesson we need to learn here is to humbly come to the Lord, bowing to Him in submission admitting our own inability to make it on our own. He knows we need His help. Sometimes we foolishly keep going without talking to Him. He is always waiting to show us the answer to our every need, but we must come. We must pray and seek Him.
We acknowledge Him in our prayers by asking direction and then following His way for us. We must admit to Him and ourselves that we do not have all the answers. We must be humble and not prideful. Many pray and then impatiently go on and do their own will without waiting for him to show them the way.
The blessings start to flow when we bow our hearts unto Him following His design for us. We can reap the blessings in Deuteronomy 28:3-14. I love reading the blessings. Here are a few:
- Blessed shall be thy basket and thy store
- The Lord shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses, and in all thou settest thine hand unto…
- The Lord shall establish thee an holy people unto Himself
- The Lord shall make thee plenteous in goods…
- The Lord shall open unto thee His good treasure…
- The Lord shall make thee the head and not the tail…
- Thou shalt be above and not beneath…
These blessing are so wonderful and so much more than we deserve. He delights in us and will always provide. We should never try to take one step without Him. That is a dangerous path where we surely will fall eventually. It is His will to make us the Head and to always be above. How wonderful He is!
A Humble Person — He says, “I will not do anything until I get the mind of God. I will not act until He commands.”
A Proud Person — He says, “God gave me a good mind and He expects me to use it. It is silly to ask Him for direction in every detail of my life.”