- The Lord is my shepherd (to feed, guide and shield me); I shall not lack.
The Lord is guiding me. He is my provider, my guide, and my protector. He is my everything and I shall have all that I need. I will not do without because He is my shepherd.
2. He makes me lie down in (fresh, tender) green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.
He wants us always to be at rest inside knowing that He is in control with no reason to fear. He allows trials that speak the opposite to us. He steps back and waits to see how we react. He leads us to be at rest, to be still and to be at peace.
3. He refreshes and restores my life–Myself; He leads me in the paths of righteousness (uprightness and right standing with Him – not for my earning it, but), for His name’s sake.
Only He can give the refreshment of the Holy Spirit that will lead me to the wholeness of my soul to be upright and holy with Him for My Jesus.
4. Yes, though I walk through the (deep, sunless) valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil; for You are with me; Your rod (to protect) and Your staff (to guide), they comfort me.
We all go through the hard times of trials and afflictions, that we would rather not go through. But these are the very thing we need for faith to grow. He is with us in the darkest valley. And the memory of it will last forever. We will never forget the comfort we received or the protection that He gave. They molded us to become the victors He created us to be. We learn about fear and how to resist it.
5. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my brimming cup runs over.
We are filled with the Holy Spirit to overflowing while our enemies watch close by. He is vindicating us while He is blessing us. He is feeding us all the while.
6. Surely only goodness, mercy and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life; and through the length of days the house of the Lord (and His presence) shall be my dwelling place. Amp.
We are blessed with His great mercy, goodness and love by His presence in our lives as we learn to become His dwelling place. That is our place of safety. We learn how to dwell with Him and enjoy His glory where we will be forever. We enter His sabbath rest and are complete.