GALATIONS 5:4-6 If you seek to be justified and declared righteous and to be given a right standing with God through the Law, you are brought to nothing and so separated (severed) from Christ. You have fallen away from grace — from God’s gracious favor and unmerited blessing.
5. For we (not relying on the Law), through the Holy Spirit’s help by faith anticipate and wait for the blessing and good which our righteousness and right standing with God — our conformity to His will in purpose, thought and action — (causes us) to hope.
6. For if we are in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision counts for anything, but only faith activated and energized and expressed and working through love.
Justified – c) to render just or innocent, — free.
Grace – c) the divine influence on the heart, and its reflection in the life.
Before Jesus died on the cross, the Israelites focused on obeying the Laws given to Moses by God, especially the 10 Commandments. They had so many rules to keep. I do not believe they paid any attention to the sins of the heart as pride, anger, lust, greed, fear, unforgiveness, or jealousy. They paid no attention to their unbelief.
They concentrated on the obeying the Law. Romans 9:30-33 says they did not succeed — they did not depend on faith but on what they could do — relying on the merit of their works. They had faith in themselves. We all have faith. But where do we place it?
Romans 3 tells us about justification. Which is basically being found innocent of all charges and set free. When we die, we all will come into the presence of Jesus. What will He look for?
Romans 3:22 Namely the righteousness of God which comes by believing with personal trust and confident reliance on Jesus Christ, the Messiah.
We are being told by the scriptures, if we believe that we can be as good as we can be our whole lifetime and because of that we will make it to heaven — that we will not make it to heaven. So what is it that we need to make it to heaven?
- Justified by true faith in Jesus Christ
- Comes by believing with personal trust and confident reliance on Jesus Christ
- Not by works of the Law thus being severed from Jesus Christ
- But by faith through the Holy Spirit conforming to His will in thought, purpose and action.
- But only faith activated and expressed and working through love.
There are so many people in this world who are devoted to their church but forget about their personal relationship with Jesus. They do many good works and are very good people, but they have lost their first love and He will say I never knew you.
John 17:3 And this is eternal life: it means to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with and understand) You, the one and only true and real God, and likewise to know Him, Jesus (as the) Christ, the Anointed One, the Messiah, Whom You have sent. Amp.
If we do not spend time in this life getting to know Jesus and the Father, He will know that He was not the most important thing in our life, which is His requirement. He must have and deserves the first place in our heart. He is love and is seeking love from us. If we want to go to heaven we must spend time getting to know Him here and now.
That is what Eternal Life is all about. He is testing us to see what we want. And He will give each of us what we want. He won’t force His wonderful love on anyone. We will spend eternity loving Him, worshipping Him, honoring Him and Him alone, FOR HE ALONE IS WORTHY!