DEUTERONOMY 20:1-4 When you go forth to battle against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and an army greater than your own, do not be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt, is with you.
2. And when you come near to the battle, the priest shall approach and speak to the men,
3. And shall say to them, Hear, O Israel, you draw near this day to battle against your enemies; let not your minds and hearts faint; fear not, and do not tremble, or be terrified (and in dread) because of them.
4. For the Lord you God is He Who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you. Amp.
Israel fought a physical enemy that they could see with their eyes and hear with their ears. The Lord was telling them to keep their eyes on Him and to remember how He brought them out of Egypt. They had to draw near to battle without fear but with faith in God and His promise of victory to them.
That is exactly what David did when he went to battle against Goliath. His eyes were not on the size of the giant but on the victories he had been given and he won. That is the same thing He says to us today but with a spiritual enemy we cannot see.
Ephesians 6:11-13 Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the enemy.
12. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13. Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. KJV
We must believe that there are evil spirits in this world behind all the evil that seems to be in control. We cannot fight with people or it will be in vain. You can witness to someone about Jesus but if you do not back it up with prayer and bind the spirits it may not work. There are times God saves but usually we must go to battle for others.
Who are we fighting?
- Principalities – c) chief
- Powers – c) magistrate, superhuman, potentate, delegated influence, authority
- Rulers of darkness – c) a world ruler
- Spiritual wickedness in high places – c) depravity, malice, plots, iniquity.
We must treat these as real beings that have a job to do and if left alone will succeed in the destruction of many.
Luke 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
He spoke this to the disciples before Paul wrote the book of Ephesians. They had Jesus with them. Now we must learn to battle the enemy with God’s armor.
- Belt of Truth
- Breast of Righteousness
- Gospel of Peace
- Shield of Faith
- Helmet of Salvation
- Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God
- Praying always
We must know that we have an enemy that if left uncontrolled will wreak havoc in our lives and our nation. Many times we pray and ask for the Lord to save this person and this nation. It is always His will to save. He is saying yes. Now we have to live the life of authority and do battle in the prayer closet. We have been given the authority over all, but we have to use it.
Where is the Army of God that will fight the spiritual battles so this nation will not be lost when He returns? These battles are done in the secret place where no on sees but Him. But in the end their reward will be great.
SUBJECT — STRENGTH — CH SPURGEON
Our life derives all its strength from God; and if He deigns to make us strong, we cannot be weakened by all the machinations of the adversary. “Of whom shall I be afraid?” The bold question looks into the future as well as the present. If God be for us, who can be against us, either now or in the time to come?