Judges 13:17-18 And Manoah said unto the Angel of the Lord, What is Thy name, that when Thy sayings come to pass we may do Thee honor?
18. And the Angel of the Lord said unto him, why askest thou thus after My name, seeing it is secret? KJV
18. And the Angel of the Lord said to him, Why do you ask My name, seeing it is wonderful?
Secret – c) remarkable, wonderful – things too high, marvelous, miracles, wondrous things
Name – c) character
Samson’s parents were being told of Samson’s birth. Jesus had not revealed himself to his people as yet. They wanted to know who they were talking to, but this was the Angel of the Lord, which in the Old Testament is always Jesus.
His answer is showing His heart and character. He wanted to reveal Himself to them but could not because His time had not come. He is saying, Why do you ask? Do you want to know Me? My name and character is still a secret, a very wonderful secret.
I believe they had the right answer in their heart. That is why they were chosen to give birth to Samson, who was to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines.
What is the character of Jesus? I believe He is trying to tell us His heart in Matthew 11.
Matthew 11: 25-30 At that time Jesus began to say, I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, and acknowledge openly and joyfully to Your honor that You have hidden these things from the wise and clever and learned, and revealed them to babies — to the childish, untaught and unskilled.
26. Yes Father, I praise You that such was Your gracious will and good pleasure.
27. All things were entrusted, and delivered to Me by My Father: and no one fully knows and accurately understands the Father except the Son and anyone whom the Son deliberately wills to make Him known.
THEN HE MAKES HIS MOST FAMOUS INVITATION:
28. Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and over burdened, and I will cause you to rest — I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.
29. Take My yoke upon You, and learn of Me: for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest — relief, ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet for your souls.
30. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good) — not harsh, sharp or pressing, but comfortable, gracious and pleasant; and My burden is light and easy to be born. Amp.
He is explaining His wonderful character. He has everyone of these special attributes in an unending way just for us. He invites us to come and enjoy all that He and Father are, we just have to be humble and lowly like they are.
He chooses those that have been looked down on by the successful and proud. He is so kind and gentle and will only reveal that part of His nature to another who is kind and gentle and may have gotten off track because of bad treatment from the proud.
But He is in control and is still saying “Come unto Me and I will give you rest.”
So many rush about this world seeking happiness from an empty well. If they would come to Jesus, He would be the satisfaction they seek. If they only knew. But they are all are blind searching for answers to their heart’s desire when they don’ even know what it is.
In one of Phil Driscoll’s songs he makes the problem clear, “Though the world refused to hear, it was all for them He died.”