- Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom.
10. But while they were gone away to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were prepared(ready) went in with him to the marriage feast; and the door was shut.
Ready -c) adjusted, ready, prepared.
Ready -d) prepared to act or be used immediately; prepared in mind, willing; done without delay; available immediately; prompt.
This is the first verse in Matthew 25. The very first thing the ten virgins do is go to meet the bridegroom. So, they were awake and new He was on His way. Why weren’t they all ready?
They took their lamps that were lighting their way for them. It must have been dark. When they waited the oil started to run low and their lamps started to dim. They knew pretty soon it would be too dark for them to see. No one wants to be outside in the dark without any light. They could get lost or come up against a predator or some kind of danger.
They knew they needed to see in the dark. So, they were not ready because they did not have enough oil. They had to go and buy some more oil. And while they were gone, the Bridegroom came and they missed Him. There is no sin in going to buy more oil. Why were they not ready?
11. Later the other virgins also came, and said, Lord, Lord, open (the door) to us!
12. But He replied, I solemnly declare to you, I do not know you – I am not acquainted with you. Amp.
A bridegroom is coming to marry His bride. You do not usually marry a stranger. There may be some arranged marriages, but for the most part a couple marries because they know each other and enjoy being together so much that they want more and more of each other.
Is not the Lord the same way with us? He desires an intimate relationship with us. But it has to come from us. He has already done His part by opening the way for us to come and be with Him by the cross.
Now we must spend our time talking to Him. We must spend quality time building up this relationship getting to know Him and His ways. His ways are different than ours. They are not like the world or fleshly like we are. Praying and reading and worshipping are always needed but that is not communion.
We must learn to be with Him and share our lives and heart with Him as you would your spouse or we will be in danger that He will shut the door and say I do not know you. This is where we receive the extra oil. The oil is a symbol of the Holy Spirit.
Without the extra oil our lamps will go out and we will be in darkness.
28. For You cause my lamp to be lighted and shine; the Lord my God illumines my darkness.