17 Therefore do not be vague and thoughtless and foolish but understanding and firmly grasping what the will of the Lord is. Amp.
The Lord does not tell us to obey His will and then make it impossible for us to know what that might be. We are to seek Him and earnestly strive to know what His will for us may be. Many get saved and right away want to become evangelists and travel the world because that sounds so wonderful. And many jump into a ministry before they know for sure just what the Lord’s will is for them.
If we ask and keep on asking, He will let us know one way or another. He will make it clear. Then we are to test the spirits by asking until we give the Lord plenty of time to show us it was not Him. He is not the author of confusion. He looks on the honesty of the heart.
21. Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ, the Messiah the Anointed One.
22. Wives be subject – be submissive and adapt yourselves to your own husband as a service to the Lord.
This is telling us that not only wives are to submit but all are to submit and be subject to one another. Women are to submit to their husbands as unto the Lord. This means that if the Husband is asking them to do something it must be in accordance with God’s will for them.
I heard a strict Pentecostal Preacher say that women are to have a submissive attitude and tell their Husband’s in a very respectful way, “I am sorry I cannot do this because the Lord does not want me to.”
Women are not in bondage to men but are to be loved as Christ loves the Church and gave Himself up for her. He was the very opposite of selfish. There are times when women should and must say no to their husbands.
1 CORINTHIANS 7:5-6
5. Do not refuse and deprive and defraud each other of your due marital rights, except perhaps by mutual consent for a time, that you may devote yourselves unhindered to prayer. But afterwards resume marital relations, lest Satan tempt you to sin through your lack of restraint of sexual desire,
6. But I am saying this more as a matter of permission and concession, not as a command or regulation.
Many couples have had words over this scripture making women feel pressured. Paul is saying that this is not a command. He goes on to say in verse 17 to let each one seek to lead the life which the Lord has allotted to him.
I think we can honestly say for the most part that men want sex more than women do. Chapter 7 is also saying that it is better to remain unmarried because you will have many physical and earthly troubles that single people do not have.
He is saying that marriage causes distractions and divided interests. It is easier to serve the Lord without these distractions when single. (Verses 32-40)
1 CORINTHIANS 7:9
9. But if they have not self-control (restraint of their passions), they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame (with passion and tortured continually with ungratified desire).
Any time the flesh rules it is sin and not Holy Spirit (Romans 8:5). What does selfish mean? If someone is tortured, you can be sure Satan will be right there. Any time the flesh wants something in excess it is sin, whether it be food, shopping, TV, sex, or many things. We must pray and bind that spirit of temptation that always comes to bind.
I am not saying that no one should get married. Paul is saying that for me in this chapter.
- Therefore, there is now no condemnation -no adjudging guilty of wrong for those who are in Christ Jesus who live not after the dictates of the flesh, but after the dictates of the Spirit.
These are some good points.
Young believers who want to jump right into ministry are welcome to speak into their vicinity, as a local voice, big ministry comes with time and maturity. They must be careful to become fully grounded.
Marriage among believers should be kept holy, but believers after marriage must learn about holiness.
Thank you, God bless
Thank you for the comment. You make a good point, too! God bless You!