5. For I, says the Lord, will be to her a wall of fire round about, and I will be the glory in the midst of her.
He is talking about Jerusalem saying they will dwell as villages without walls because of the multitude of people and livestock in it. He will be the walls protecting them.
8. For thus said the Lord of Hosts, after His glory had sent me (His messenger) to the nations who plundered you, for he who touches you touches the apple or pupil of His eye:
9. Behold, I will swing My hand over them, and they shall become plunder for those who served them. Then you shall recognize and know that the Lord of hosts has sent me (His messenger).
When the Lord said, “I will bless those who bless thee and I will curse those who curse thee,” He meant it. The nations have plundered Jerusalem for whatever reason does not matter. He will always take up for His people. We do not want to poke God in the eye. And is that not what happens?
Matthew 10:40 He who receives and welcomes and accepts you, receives and welcomes and accepts Me…
We may not be perfect and always say the right words, that is between us and the Lord. But we are His representatives. If we are rejected by man, man will be rejected by the Lord.
When we are judged and slandered, we must learn how to take it and believe the Lord will make it work for our good no matter how painful it may be. It is also painful for the Lord.
1 Peter 3:14, 16-17
14. But even in case you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed, happy, to be envied. Do not dread or be afraid of their threats nor be disturbed by their opposition.
16. And see to it that your conscience is entirely clear, so that, when you are falsely accused as evildoers, those who threaten you abusively and revile your right behavior in Christ may come to be ashamed of slandering your good lives.
17. For it is better to suffer unjustly for doing right, if that should be God’s will, than to suffer justly for doing wrong. Amp.
If they twisted Jesus’ words, how much more will they twist our words today. Many do not understand the ways of the Lord and are convicted by the Lord’s people so they will reason out your behavior with a carnal mind that does not comprehend the Holy Spirit.
When it is reasoned it is made fleshly like the mind doing the thinking. The mind of the flesh is hostile to God. That is where most are, and we are judged always unfairly. This is part of the Christian walk that cannot be avoided. We must learn to swallow it and go on. The Lord keeps track of every word said against us and will repay. This will get worse as the end draws nearer. But the Lord will be a wall of fire around His people!
SONG OF SOLOMON 2:4
4. He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love. KJV.