14. And I looked and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud One sat like unto the Son of man, having on His head a golden crown, and in His hand a sharp sickle.
15. And another angel came out of the temple, crying with a loud voice to Him that sat on the cloud, “Thrust in Thy sickle, and reap for the time is come for Thee; for the harvest of the earth is ripe.” KJV.
This is the last harvest before the wrath of God is poured out. In other words, this is the last chance to be saved for mankind. Once He thrusts in the sickle, it’s over. Then the grapes of His wrath will be harvested. We always think we will have more chances not facing the possibility that this may be the last one.
He means His Word. Those who obey will be saved. Those who ignore His Word will be ignored By Him. There will be a final outpouring of His Spirit. Those who are open to its flow will receive. Those who continually quench the Holy Spirit will be quenched by Him.
28. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
29. And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My Spirit. KJV.
In Joel 2:30-32 it speaks about the last days as if to say this happens right before the end. The outpouring is a mighty work of the Holy Spirit. The first thing He does is clean house. He comes into a church or people and starts dealing with the flesh, the world and the devil that is in the midst. He empties before He pours.
When the disciples were in the upper room waiting for the promise that Jesus told them would come, they were giving themselves to prayer and worship. They were being prepared for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.
Then when Peter went forth on the day of Pentecost and preached to those who were brought to listen, He knew just what to say because he had been taught the same thing by the Holy Spirit.
38. And Peter answered them, Repent — change your views, and purpose to accept the will of God in your inner selves instead of rejecting it – and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of and release from your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Amp.
Peter and the others had learned this lesson by the Holy Spirit. Peter had denied Jesus 3 times. And afterwards him and the others ran and hid from the Jews after Jesus died. Now they were out preaching Jesus to any and all who could hear them including the Pharisees whom they had feared. They did not fear anyone.
We too must learn the lessons the Holy Spirit has for us before we can preach to others. We must allow the Holy Spirit to come into our hearts and have His way. Only then will He anoint our words to set the captive free.
6. The earth has yielded its harvest (in evidence of God’s approval); God, even our God will bless us.