- I will love Thee, O Lord, my strength.
- The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my strength, in whom I will trust, my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
- I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. KJV.
This Psalm is from the day David was delivered from Saul and other enemies. David cried out to the Lord because his enemies were closing in on him. He knew the Lord was his only hope, his rock, refuge, deliverer, strength and buckler.
What did the Lord do? He got angry, (vs. 7). What happens when the Lord gets angry?
- The earth shook and trembled
- The foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken
- Smoke came out of His nostrils
- Fire came out of his mouth
- He bowed the heavens and CAME DOWN
- He thundered
- He gave His voice – hail stones and coals of fire
- He shot out lightnings
- The foundations of the world were laid bare at His rebuke
Why did He do all this? He is making Himself known. Then He takes David and delivers him bringing him into a large place, delivering him because He delights in him. He recompenses him. He rewards David making his enemies serve him. He makes him the head and not the tail making his way perfect.
Psalm 18:47 It is God that avengeth me, and subdueth the people under me. KJV
This is a picture of the last days.
Isaiah 34:8 For the Lord has a day of vengeance, a year of recompense for the cause of Zion.
Romans 12:19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave the way open for God’s wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay (requite), says the Lord.
All the pain and persecution of His people has been kept close track of and will now be judged in the last days. We are to be harmless as doves, never repaying evil for evil but waiting upon the Lord.
We must remember next time we hear thunder and feel the earth tremble that just maybe the Lord is coming down to avenge us. That makes the storm a good thing. He will set our feet upon a rock and be our fortress, high tower, deliverer, shield and buckler. He will set our feet in a large place, delighting in us, making us the head, subduing the people under our feet.
We want to be like David and reap what he sowed. He waited for the Lord to remove Saul and He eventually did, and David took his place.
The evil doers of this world will not always be in control. One day soon the Lord will shake everything up and the lowly will become the mighty. What a great day that will be!