- Now (in Haran), the Lord said to Abram, Go for yourself (for your own advantage) out away from your own country, from your relatives and your father’s house to the land that I will show you.
2. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you (with abundant increase of favors) and make your name famous and distinguished, and you shall be a blessing — dispensing good to others.
3. And I will bless those who bless you, (who confer prosperity or happiness upon you) and curse him who curses or uses insolent language toward you; in you shall all the families and kindred of the earth be blessed — by you they shall bless themselves. Amp.
Is this not what the Lord says to us all when He says to come out from the world and be separate; (2 Cor. 6:17)?
Also in 2 Thess. 3:6…”that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walks disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received from us.
Abraham was in the midst of sin and idolatry. The Lord was sending him to a safer place even away from his family. The Lord will lead His people away from contaminating influences. If our family members are caught up in any type of sin, at times He may send us away if we are obedient to His will. He is always testing us to see how far we will go for Him. Are we willing or not?
It is not easy to be separate from loved ones and friends. But when you obey the voice of the Lord, just look at the promise He gives. The Amplified says:
- Make you a great nation.
- Abundant increase of favors.
- Make your name famous.
- Make your name distinguished.
- Make you a blessing to others.
- Bless those who bless you.
- Curse those who curse you.
- In you shall all families be blessed. (“Jesus”)
That is quite a list of blessings. Abraham received them all. We can receive them all too if we follow the Lord’s leading wherever He may take us. We know that all things will work for our good as we learn to follow. We have many lessons to learn, and He will teach us as we learn to obey His will for us whatever that might be.