PSALM 128:1-2 Blessed — happy, fortunate (to be envied) — is everyone who fears, reveres and worships the Lord; who walks in His ways and lives according to His commandments.
2. For you shall eat (the fruit) of the labor of your hands; happy, blessed, fortunate (enviable) shall you be, and it shall be well with you. Amp.
Blessed – c) happiness.
Happy – d) having, showing, or causing a feeling of pleasure, joy, etc.: glad.
Revere – d) to regard with deep respect, love and awe: venerate.
Awe – d) a mixed feeling of reverence, fear, and wonder, caused by something sublime, etc.
Everyone who loves the Lord will have the desire to keep His commandments and live accordingly. How do we keep His commandments. Does He mean the 10 Commandments or more?
I go back to Deuteronomy 28 and Leviticus 26.
Lev. 26:1-4 It basically says:
- Not to bow down to idols
- To keep His sabbaths
- To reverence His sanctuary
- If you walk in His statutes and keep His commandments
- I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase and the trees of the field shall yield their fruit.
Deut. 28:1 It basically says:
- If you will diligently listen to the voice of the Lord
- Being watchful to do all His commandments
- The Lord will set you high above all the nations of the earth
- All these blessings shall come upon you. vs. 3-14
- But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord being watchful to do all His commandments, then all these curses will come upon you. vs.16-68
We know the Israelites could not obey all His commandments and ended up reaping the curses. Jesus had to die for us because there was no one who could obey Him perfectly. Only Jesus lived a perfect life. But now through the power of the Holy Spirit, we have the power to obey Him.
The key to serving the Lord is love. John 8:42 Jesus said to the Pharisees, “If God were your Father, you would love Me and respect Me and welcome Me gladly.” Satan was their father and there was no place in their heart for Jesus. You would think that because He was the Son of God, He would have the respect of mankind, but the opposite is true.
He is testing mankind and will come back with His recompense. Isaiah 35:4 “Say to those who are fearful of heart, Be strong, fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, and the recompense of God; He will come and save you.” He will come and right all the wrongs.
When we love and worship the Lord, we want to be pleasing to Him. We will draw near to Him desiring to hear Him speak so tenderly to our aching soul. We will have respect for all of His wishes and desires.
We will not try to pull away because that would only bring us pain. If He is the number one love in your heart, all these blessings will eventually come because He will be there with you every step of the way to help you learn how to walk in His ways.
SUBJECT — BLESSINGS — CH SPURGEON
Heaped up happiness belong to the one who fears the Lord. If we fear God we can dismiss all other fears. In walking in God’s ways we will be under his protection, provision and approval. Danger and destruction will be far from us; all things will work for our good, filling our lives with blessings. (Rom.8:28)