36. And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their Lord, when He will return from the wedding; that when He cometh and knocketh, they may open unto Him immediately.
37. Blessed are those servants, whom the Lord when He cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that He shall gird Himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.
38. And if He shall come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.
39. And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through.
40. Be ye therefore ready also; for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
Watching -c) to keep awake; be vigilant.
Vigilant -d) alert to danger.
Matthew 25:13 also says, “Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.”
He is telling us that watching is different than praying. We watch first in the power of the Holy Spirit. Then we bring it to Him in prayer. Then He says yes to our prayer, but then we must do the needed spiritual warfare of binding the spirits to take their hands off of our answer. We watch for the enemy to leave and then we rejoice.
If we are in the flesh and not in tune with the Holy Spirit, we can miss things that need our prayers. We must be obedient always to the Holy Spirit or we will miss the danger signals that He gives in our life and in the lives of others that we pray for. That is being ready and attentive to the needs all around so all will be ready.
Watch is another word for guard. In verse 39, the goodman would have watched to see that his house was not broken into. We must keep our eyes open to Satan’s tactics. Our trials are so important. We can remember the previous attacks and recognize His devices.
Revelation 16:15 Lo, I am going to come like a thief! Blessed — happy, to be envied — is he who stays awake (alert) and who guards his clothes so that he may not be naked and have the shame of being seen exposed! Amp.
We must be alert and clothed with the Holy Spirit. We must not allow sin to come and stay for any length of time. We must constantly be in conversation with the Holy Spirit asking if there is anything that we have missed. We must pay attention to our joy level. That is a key to being in the right place so we will have our spiritual garment on at all times and ready.
Psalm 16 Thou wilt shew me the path of life; in Thy presence is fulness of joy; at Thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. KJV